Taking care of older Māori
Enliven Kaiāwhina (Māori counsellor or navigator), work alongside whanau, marae and local Māori Health (Te Huarahi Oranga) to improve access to social services for Māori. They support clients individually, in their homes, as well as liaise with local Kaumātua/elders to ensure that older Māori are aware of – and receive, the social support that they need in a culturally appropriate way.
How we help
If you or an older loved one is of Māori descent, we can provide:
- A Māori community support work available if preferred *
- Culturally sensitive liaison between whanau, marae, Te Huarahi Oranga and the mainstream social support service network
- An assurance that your Tikanga and cultural needs will be met when seeking social service support
- Some advocacy work
Our Kaiāwhina also work internally, bringing cultural training to other Enliven and Presbyterian Support staff, particularly new staff, volunteers and students.
Where to start
- Contact us to find out more about Kaiāwhina support in your area
- Or contact one of the Service Centres listed below.